Blog Entries: 1 to 10 of 12
John Hacker & Margaret Sleeth Hacker
John Hacker was born Jan. 2, 1743 by the old style calendar according to records of Over-Wharton Parish, Staffor County, VA. Margaret Sleeth Hacker was born in Ireland, June 24 1747 and came to America with her parents. John and Margaret were married around 1765, probably near Winchester VA. John and Margaret had 11 children.
John followed along with another party, Samuel Pringle to the current area of Pringle Tree, Upshur Co. He and the others were pleasantly pleased at what they seen, and returned the following spring to plant crops. They selected lands and marked their tomahawk claims. John soon found out the claim he staked had already been staked by Samuel Pringle. To avoid trouble, John agreed that if Samuel would clear as much land on a creek that recently had been discovered it would take care of any problems. Thus, John Hacker settle on what is known as Hacker's Creek and became the first permanent white settler in what is now Lewis County, WV. After planting crops and probably making some sort of shelter, he returned to South Branch for his wife and child. They found that buffalo had destroyed their crops, so John left his family to hunt the buffalo. He found them and destroyed them at what is now Holly River State Park. John made a tomahawk entry at what was known as Hacker's Lick, but later came to be known Hacker's Valley. John Hacker's son, William Hacker was the first white child born within the confines of present Lewis County.
The years became busy with clearing land, greeting new immigrants, Indian troubles and establishing some form of goverment. The years were not without tragedy. John's daughter, Mary Ann Hacker, was the bride of Edmund West, and was slain by the Indian renegade Leonard Schoolcraft. Another daughter was scalped and left for dead. The Hackers were among those who established the first Methodist Church on Hacker's Creek, called Harmony Church.
John Hacker died in 1824 in his home and is buried in the Morrison Cemetery, which is located on the original John Hacker homestead. Margaret died in 1832.
If you want to know more of the story, then give us a call at 304-269-7091 or email email@example.com
Jackson Family of Jane Lew
Today we had Navy Captain Scott Tetrick visit our library. Scott just returned from Afghanistan in May, and retired in July. He and his family live in S.Carolina. I asked how he learned about us, and he said his father had visited the library about 10 years ago and got info and told him to visit us when he was in the area. We are so glad he did, we enjoyed helping him relate to his roots. His ancestors lived in Jane Lew, and he had a wonderful article about the house, which is no longer there. The house was built in 1840 by John Bailey, who sold it to J. Blackwell Jackson and his bride Bird Lorentz Jackson. In his framed memorial he also had a picture of Blackwell & wife with their wedding announcement. We were able to help him connect to his roots.
Melville Davisson Post
Templemoor was built by Melville Davisson Post's father Ira Carper Post sometime in the 1870's it was Melville family home and farm.
Melville Davisson Post was known as Mel by his friends. He was born into a weathly family. His father was Ira Carper Post, who in his day was well educated and amassed his fortune by wisely managing his holdings. His mother was Florence May Davisson Post who came from a pioneer lineage. Melville was a lad that liked to make up stories and write. He later attended college and became a lawyer. While he was a lawyer in Wheeling he wrote a book. The book became wildly sucessful and thus he transferred from lawyer to well known published author. On one of his many travels, he met a beautiful lady by the name of Ann Bloomfield Gamble Schoolfield, of Roanoke Va. They were known as Post and Bloom. They had one child that died at 18 months. Melville liked the "Templemoor" farm and later they built in 1914 a beautiful simple style chalet on the property. On this site Indians had ground pigment to make war paint, so he called it " The Hill of the Painted Men." The chalet burned after Post death. Bloom died in 1919 and Melville in 1930. They are buried with their son in the Clarksburg Elk Masonic Cemetery. Some of his books: The Strange Schemes of Randolph Mason, The Man of Last Resort, and Uncle Abner.
"Templemoor", also known as the Post-Crawford House, is a historic home located near Clarksburg approximately halfway between Romines Mills and Peeltree, in Harrison County, West Virginia. It was built in 1874 for Ira Carper Post, and is a 2 1/2 story brick mansion in the Italianate style. It features a combination hip and gable roof covered in polychrome slate shingles. It was the boyhood home of noted West Virginia author Melville Davisson Post (1869-1930) who was famous for mystery and fiction novels. The home includes 13 rooms many featuring top of the line woodwork
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Sand Fork news Clips from 1887
Little Jesse Johnson is trying to secure a class in penmanship at the Hall school house. Anyone wishing to learn penmanship will apply at once.
Miss Ida Jones, of Austin (Vandalia) is attending the Walkersville School. She was visiting friends on Sand Fork the latter part of last week.
Mr. Nathan Rexroad, while floating logs Thursday last, lost a very valuable hat.
The “Austin Gorillas’” organized a baseball club Saturday, last, and will meet every two weeks.
Mr. R. F. Hornor purchased a very fine horse last week.
One of West Fork’s most thriving farmers, John Wilson, was united in holy matrimony to the belle of Union Hill, Miss Ollie Smith. May the honeymoon always remain with them is the wish of Bobtail Bawly.
Gee Where is Gee Lick?
Gee Lick community is rich in history and tradition of other days. Many stories have been handed down to the generations about the trials and struggles of the first settlers. They had to deal with the marauding of Indians and wild animals. Today you would travel Rt. 33 West out of Weston to arrive at Gee Lick. Two Indian burying grounds are located in the area. Many of the present day residents are descendants of the pioneer families that settled the area. The name “Gee Lick” is said to come from a large “G” that had been carved on a beech tree. In earlier times the people looked at a meadow and estimated how many stacks of hay it would cut, but today we look at the same field and think how many building lots it will make. A complete article ran in the 1947 Weston Democrat prepared by the Mrs. Ellen Butcher of the Gee Lick Woman’s Club and read to the Jackson’s Mill Public School Day will be printed in HCPD’s July newsletter. The current newsletter is available to HCPD members only.
Happy Birthday WV
Who founded WV?
West Virginia's early history from 1609 until 1863 is largely shared with Virginia, of which it was a part until Virginia seceded from the Union in 1861. The delegates of the 40 western counties who opposed secession formed their own government, which was granted statehood in 1863.
How did WV become a state?
West Virginia became a state following the Wheeling Conventions of 1861, in which delegates from some Unionist counties of northwestern Virginia decided to break away from Virginia during the American Civil War, although they included many secessionist counties in the new state.
What is the state of WV known for?
West Virginia is often considered one of the more scenic states in the nation, and several of the most beloved sights in the Mountain State center around its natural beauty. But West Virginia is also known for its Civil War history, grand resorts and architectural feats, so set out and explore.
Why did WV split from VA during the civil war?
In 1861, as the United States itself became massively divided over regional issues, leading to the American Civil War (1861–1865), the western regions of Virginia split with the eastern portion politically, and the two were never reconciled as a single state again.
What is the origin of the name of WV?
Although the name "Kanawha" was considered, West Virginia was chosen to name the western counties of Virginia which refused to secede from the Union in 1863. "Virginia" is in honor of England's Queen Elizabeth I.
How many libraries have an original 1824 tombstone sitting in plain site? The Hacker’s Creek Pioneer Descendants Library does.
It is an interesting story how the stone came to rest once again in West Virginia after being in Texas for many years.
John Hacker, the first settler of what is now Lewis County, WV, died in his settlement on Hacker’s Creek in 1824. He was buried in a little cemetery that had started a few years earlier on his farm. His family erected a hand-carved stone to mark his burial. Today this site is called Morrison Cemetery.
In the mid 1900’s the stone disappeared from the cemetery.
In the 1980’s with the formation of a genealogy organization, the Hacker’s Creek Pioneer Descendants (HCPD), members wondered what had happened to the stone.
During an annual meeting of the group, Joy Gregoire Gilchrist conducted a tour of historic sites, including the Morrison Cemetery. She explained that John Hacker’s stone was missing.
John Sheldon Hacker told her that the stone was in Tyler, Texas. He had the stone at his home there. His uncle, Roy Hacker, had taken it
and erected the stones that were currently there. After his death, John found it lying face up on the garden path, and took it home to preserve it.
Joy was excited. She asked if she and her husband traveled to Texas could they bring the stone “home to WV.”
The trip occurred and the stone today is on display in the library. A new marker at the grave was placed by donations and help from the family.
Hacker’s Creek Pioneer Descendants, Inc. is located in the old Horner Grade School. The school was constructed in the early 1900’s. It still has the original bell tower with school bell, sidewalk, ball field and Sesame Street art on the meeting room walls. It now holds many, many family stories and treasures. Our genealogy collections serve the Central West Virginia area. We have many out of state people that visit to discover their roots. Almost all that visit are amazed at the information we have available.
GPS makes finding Cemeteries easier
Computers and high-tech tools make our searches easier, than the old fashion way of hunting in a maze. Of course to many it was gathering clues and solving a mystery, and to others a true challenge. It is a whoo-pee! moment when a genealogist discovers an ancestor's grave.
GPS stands for Global Positioning System. Most phones now have GPS programs. Not all cemeteries are mapped for GPS and that is where volunteers are needed to come in to read and map the old cemeteries. You can check WV culture site and FindAGrave to find cemeteries that already have GPS coordinates.
Our FaceBook site
Many people do not like Face Book and we respect that. It is a way we can share history and pictures to many. We are hopeful it is a tool that we can use to interest more people about their family roots and the local history. Today I'm going to post pictures of Hacker's Creek and give a short history. Many people don't realize the Hacker's Creek area was the beginnings of many settlers going to other parts of the state. It is an area full of wonderful history, but also Lewis County has a wealth of interesting history. Our page is https://www.facebook.com/hackerscreek/