The HCPD Library is located at 45 Abbott's Run Road, Horner, WV 26372-7091,
telephone number (304) 269-7091,
The Central West Virginia Genealogy and History Library and Museum contains more than 10,000 books including published works, one-of-a-kind works compiled by family researchers and donated for use by others, and over 10,000 images focusing on families and locations in the Central West Virginia area. The library is also the repository for original Lewis County court records books including deed books from 1817 to 1950s, land tax books from 1817 to 2006, marriage records, and other miscellaneous court record books. A searchable catalog for published works and the one-of-a-kind works is below. Added category is Military Loose Folders (MLF). These files include copies of some pension records.
We plan to add catalogs for our other categories in the future.
The library is open six days a week: Thursday, 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.; Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.; and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
SPECIAL NOTE! New winter hours. Until further notice, our Monday hours have been shortened. Our hours on Mondays will be 10:00 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Visitors are asked to arrive before 7:00 p.m. on Thursday evenings.
- (NOTE: Library CLOSES at 3:00 PM on Thursdays due to NO VOLUNTEERS!!)
- We follow the school schedule for inclement weather. If school is closed, so are we. Out-of-town visitors should call ahead during winter months.
- Admission is free.
- Members and visitors are asked to register upon arrival.
- We have several finding aids for our patrons that include both a card catalog and a computerized catalog to help researchers.
- Researchers are asked to log each book before taking it to the research table for use. Books are to be returned to either the corner of the library desk or a cart provided for the purpose. Staff will reshelve the books.
- We have a large collection of photographs and manuscripts which is briefly described under "Manuscript and Photograph" listing. Researchers should ask for the catalog for these. Staff will retrieve requested items.
- Policy on making copies ~~ .15 cents for members, non-members .25 cents, and .80 cents for large sheets (14x17).
- Bottled water and soda are available for purchase.
A short list of family data collections/donations for which details are too voluminous to be cataloged in this database at this time. The information is filed in archival boxes behind the stage. Information may consist of photos, papers, notes, etc. of specific family/families. The Librarian or a Volunteer must retrieve for viewing.