Requesting Research Help
When using our Online Library, you have two choices: (1) You may bring the references with you to our library at Horner, WV, and do the research yourself or (2) you may request research from our staff using the instructions below.
- Requests may be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by snail mail to HCPD, 45 Abbotts Run Road, Horner, WV 26372.
- All requests must be accompanied by the name, street, city, state, and zip code of person making the request.
- Requests must include Reference Number and Title of your item of interest as well as the information wanted. Be as specific about your request as possible. A request asking for all we have on a given surname cannot and will not be honored.
- Requests will be acknowledged upon receipt of your request. They will be answered on a first-in/first-out basis. Allow three days for the completion of requests.
- We will check one specific reference for one specific request per e-mail at no charge. However, more extensive research will be subject to our fee schedule as listed below. Please know that we will not do extensive research for you without your consent. In cases of extensive research, the fees will be levied whether or not the requested information is found. Example: a marriage record is requested for a specific couple in a specific county. If the marriage is not found in the requested resource, the researcher will attempt to find the information in surrounding counties. If the information is not there, there is nothing the researcher can do about it and the fee will still be charged.
- Either credit card information for the minimum fee or a check in a like amount for the minimum research must accompany the request. Do not submit credit card information via regular e-mail. If you wish to submit payment by credit card, you may either call the office at 304-269-7091 during regular business hours with your credit card information. or you may visit our secure request site where you may submit your request and credit card information.
- Copyright restrictions prevent us from copying entire books. We will copy no more than 20% of any publication, i.e., 20 pages from a 100 page book.
- All responses will be by snail mail with copies of information found being mailed to you. Pages can be scanned and sent by email if not over 10 pages.
- A charge of $10.00 per hour for any in-depth research done by our volunteers. A minimum charge: 1 hour.
- Copies: HCPD members are charged 15 cents per side, non-members 25 cents per side.
- Donations for postage would be appreciated for mailing five or more pages.